Villa Castagnola
Grand Hotel Lugano
Book now

Hospitality and tradition

The important moments of Villa Castagnola

OVER 130 YEARS OF HISTORY AND TRADITION.

1880

A noble Russian family, the Von Ritters, built their winter residence on the lake shores at the foot of Monte Bré.

1885

The stately villa was bought by a family from Lucerne, who at first transformed it into a “guest house” and later into a hotel. For three generations, the Schnyder von Wartensees successfully managed it and turned it into one of the most renowned hotels in Switzerland. They nurtured and grew the hotel for almost a century.

1982

The Garzoni family, from Lugano, acquired the three-story building and personally oversaw its continuous evolution. Taking care of the interior design and the renewal and redevelopment of its infrastructures, they added the 4th and 5th floors and a suite of meeting rooms.

2002

The Hotel du Midi was bought by the family who transformed it into the beautiful Art Residence. With great foresight, they created a restaurant inside an art gallery on the ground floor of the building. In the last 10 years the art gallery has displayed many internationally famous exhibits. Attentive and faithful staff do their utmost to ensure a pleasant and relaxing visit. Chef Frank Oerthle was nominated ‘Newcomer of the Year’ in 2009 by the GaultMillau guide and the restaurant received its Michelin star in 2010 – the only restaurant in Lugano with such an accolade.

2015

More than 30 years of passion and continuous transformation sees the constant improvement of the property, always keeping ahead of the times, whilst maintaining all the charm and warmth of a private villa. Villa Castagnola is the only true 5-star Superior hotel in Lugano. The Restaurant Gallery Arte al Lago celebrates its 13 years of fine dining.

Menu